Friday, December 22, 2017

Don't Waste The Gift You Have Been Given

Hey Mom,

I think you´re teaching Seminary right now.  I was hoping it was Christmas Break already but I guess not. Please as soon as you get the chance, try to message me and see if I am still online so we can figure out the call schedule for Christmas!


First off, transfers: Nothing changed. Me and Elder Kozlowski are companions still, and will be staying in our area. We were both really happy – me, because I am afraid of being with another Brazilian (but its bound to happen this next transfer) and Elder K, because he didn’t want to have to change areas right before Christmas with a whole new ward. We have some really good families here and are really starting to work with the members, in the past they haven’t had much trust in missionaries but we have had several people tell us how the ward thinks very highly of the work we are doing and that several members literally prayed that we would stay in the area at least one more transfer.




If I don’t get the chance to IM you, here’s the deal for Christmas: WE talked with a member last night and the plan is to do skype about 11;00 Joao Pessoa time. If all goes right, the time difference is about 5 hours, and I will be calling AFTER Elder Kozlowski (12-12:30 Joao Pessoa time) so be READY to receive a call starting anywhere from 7-7;30 your time. (Also double check all my math because maybe it’s wrong). I would like to Skype, it’s gonna be hard but it’s always hard on missionaries - I want to see you guys! So yes, lets skype. I don’t really know how skype works, I´m assuming I just look up your account. Also have email (or instant message via email) ready and if I have problems with skype. I will be letting you know what’s going on via IM.

Here’s the stuff that happened this week: 

We had our conference Christmas this Monday after I sent emails, it was good, I got a cake from a white elephant - my companion got sticky notes - haha. It was kind fun but also kind of sucky because I am really struggling with finding enjoyment being in a large social gathering full of people I don’t understand. At the least, I got to talk a little with Elder Allen and Elder Bradshaw who arrived here with me.  They´re doing great and their Portuguese is too.  (I’m a little jealous but I know I shouldn’t compare). They had a talent show that was fun to watch, I didn’t do anything because I still haven’t found a way to get my hands on a violin. And it’s only been 4 months but I am really worried by the time I get back I´m not gonna be able to play and that I won’t have that muscle memory. Vamos ver! (In hindsight, Carson told me via IM he wishes he would have asked for approval to bring his violin along with him.  He is sure they would have said okay.  I joked about sending it, but given the mail situation we have had – that is not going to happen. I sure wish there was a way to get one in his hands…)





Tuesday we had interviews with president again.  He’s trying to help me and I know he’s called of God. It is just so hard to understand him.  His accent is terrible so it makes it even HARDER, but he speaks a little English too so it’s alright. Elder Kozlowski is really patient and really supportive and is always encouraging me. He is an example of a good missionary and a good friend, and he has a strong testimony that he shares with me often.

We have 2 new investigators, two guys in their twenties, preparing for baptism on Christmas eve, because a less active member brought them to our English class that we have each Saturday. Now the member, his name is Carlos, is active again and we are looking at baptizing 2 quorums! There names are Jeff and Gill, they are both really educated, smart guys who have dreams of going to the US someday. They are so far really interested in the church, very impressed with the organization and atmosphere there. I hope that all goes well with their baptisms.

Last night we went to visit a member and talk about Christmas plans but ended up just comforting her. she and her husband have been trying to have a kid but she had a miscarriage a few months back. We have been having lunch with them this last transfer and she was pregnant again and hopeful but last night she told us that she had another miscarriage during the week and lost the baby. I actually understood what she was saying, but I had no idea how to help her. I cannot imagine what she is going through. I had no guidance on what to do or say to help her. I was just silent. Elder Kozloski shared a message in 2 Nephi (verse 2 was a highlight) and it was really powerful. I just don’t know why I can’t do that. It’s like I NEVER know what to say, assuming I understand what’s going on.  So that was pretty crummy.

My thought:  Alma 7:10-14

This is a good scripture that talks a little about the birth of Christ, and the spirit of Christmas. This  reminds us WHY we celebrate Christmas. Not only because the Son of God was born that night, but because he was born for a PURPOSE: to take upon himself the sins of the world, to enable us to repent of our sins and be saved.



 This scripture lays out this concept perfectly and I encourage all to read it and remember that we need to be so grateful during this time.  Christ truly was born for us, and he was born to fulfill his calling as the only begotten and to overcome death and sin. I am so grateful for His sacrifice and for this time of the year when we are reminded of the gift God gave us, the gift of his son. Don’t waste this gift! Use the atonement in your life everyday! Repent and find strength in Jesus Christ!


Love you mom, have a good day and I´ll talk to you in a week!



No comments:

Post a Comment