Monday, February 19, 2018

Online Missionaries Help Our Work

Hey Mom, it’s good to hear from you and I am jealous that you guys are getting snow... what I would give for some cold weather!! In this letter I will talk about the things that happened this week and then answer your questions.

First off, about Circa.  She left us a note saying she doesn’t want to go to church and to not pass by anymore. She said she knows our message is true but that she isn’t ready to take the steps necessary to be baptized. That has been a real bummer, but we had an AMAZING experience with another lady that I will talk about.

We had an amazing experience with an investigator this week. She is a friend of a member in the ward.  As we were leaving this members house after lunch, she was just arriving. We gave her a quick invitation to church, nothing special, and then left. This was on Saturday. On Sunday I was sitting up on the stand playing piano and I saw her come in to sacrament meeting a little late, but she still came! I didn’t think too much of it, but it was still really cool.  Then on Monday, P-Day, we got a call from the member friend of this lady. (The ladies name is Cinthia, the member friend is named Martha.) Martha called and said that Cinthia was frantic to talk with us. Me and Elder Kozlowski were just thinking what in the world?! Tuesday, we went to the house of Martha and met with Cinthia. And, oh my gosh, it has been so cool to hear about her experiences. She spoke with us and said that she needed to be baptized, ASAP. This was before we had even taught her ANYTHING.

Apparently, when we saw her on Saturday after lunch, she had a strong impression that she had already met elder Kozlowski, like he was an old friend... then on Sunday when she entered the church, she told us that from the second she stepped in the building she felt like she had just walked into her house. Martha gave her a tour of all the classes and things but she already knew where everything was and what went on in each room. She had tons of questions after being at church.  On Sunday night she was investigating the church on mormon.org and got in contact with the sister missionaries in Salt Lake that preach the gospel online and they told her to download the gospel library app. After speaking with the missionaries she couldn’t fall asleep so she stayed up all night reading the Book of Mormon, Gospel Principles, and other books about the church and then chatting with the sister missionaries. So she basically already knows everything about the basic lessons we would teach investigators.

On Tuesday we taught her the Plan of Salvation (PoS), and told her that she very may well have known Elder Kozlowski before this life.  She also told us of how she feels the presence of her deceased father very strongly during times of difficulty. She has lots of experiences. So she was super excited about the PoS and is already planning her visit to the temple and sealing of her family.





I have never met someone so ready to be baptized and she told us even more experiences that I don’t feel I should share because they are so personal to her, but they have really strengthened my testimony too. I am a little disappointed it wasn’t me that she recognized, but I hope that throughout my mission I can find people that I KNOW have been waiting for ME.

Anyways, she was baptized on Sunday.  It was actually a funny thing.  There was a frog in the baptismal font. Our zone leaders forgot to clean it, but that didn’t stop her.  She was still baptized. This has been really awesome. Cinthia has a daughter with 12 years that we are planning to baptize in a week or two, she is very shy so we´ll see how it goes.



Hearing Cinthia’s experience of feeling the presence of her father, and also experiences Elder Kozlowski has recounted about feeling the presence of family members on the other side supporting him, has really made me jealous. I was wondering why I haven’t been given that gift, to recognize the support of my ancestors, why I haven’t received a strong witness like they have.  I have wondered why I haven’t felt Grandma G with me even though I have been praying to have her near. This week I was thinking a lot about her and writing down some memories of our times together. I got thinking about how supportive she always was of us kids. She was at EVERY concert, awards night, soccer game, every holiday, had one-on-one time with each of us on our grandma special nights, she would check up on our grades…she was SO SUPPORTIVE in everything we did and was always concerned about how we were doing. As I was thinking about these things, I didn’t feel a hand on my shoulder or a hug, but I had a little thought in my brain: “nothing has changed.” She is still the same Grandma, and maybe I don’t feel her with me but I KNOW that my grandma G is there. I don’t have all the details about the spirit world, but I know she is STILL supporting me and our family like she always has. I think that thought was some personal revelation. It was really cool too. Sometimes I wish I had spiritual gifts like those around me, but I gotta be okay with what I have got and improve upon them. 

Valentine’s Day was pretty great, me and Elder K accidentally matched our ties so we took a cute couple pic.



One really sad thing is that Gil, one of our recent converts, began questioning the history of the church and he started looking for answers online.  He found a bunch of anti-Mormon garbage, and lost his testimony. He told us that he will not be going to church anymore. He had such a strong testimony and great potential to grow in the gospel. It is SO important that people have a testimony of the Book of Mormon as their foundation.  This is what he was lacking, that strong foundation. He was too critical (didn’t have the proper perspective) and didn’t search for answers from divinely appointed sources.  It’s like you would tell us in seminary, you wouldn’t go to a basketball coach to help you learn how to cook.

This week we did a service project for a less active member picking weeds. In Brazil this practically means clearing bush in the Amazon jungle (haha). It was good! We are going back this week to finish up. 

Now, I will try to answer your questions - 

The lesson with the family that had the violin didn’t happen so I didn’t get to play. 

We want our investigators to go to church 2 Sundays before they are baptized so normally we baptize them the second Sunday they attend after church. Sometimes we do baptize them on Saturday so that they can receive the Holy Ghost the next day in sacrament meeting.

I would rather do musical numbers then speak in church. Playing the piano in sacrament meeting every week is helping me with my nerves about musical numbers (It also helps that everyone in Brazil is tone deaf so I don’t think they would even recognize any mistakes).

I didn’t meet with Elder Barrett, it isn’t every week.

I am getting really bad with my journaling. I usually write once a week now. I need to be better :(
I know I will have ups and downs. I am getting really comfortable with Elder K. The test is gonna be the next transfer I think, once we get separated and I have a new companion and maybe a new area too. We´ll see.

Thanks for the suggestions about the investigator/convert tracking list.  It could be something great but Brazilians kind of get freaked out with lots of commitments in front of them (haha) so I don’t know how effective it would be. I love them but the people here are really lazy, it’s pretty sad. It’s just hard to get them to complete commitments.  It is a constant struggle. But thank you for the suggestion, and as a missionary I understand the importance of process like this. At the least it is a good thing that I can keep with me to have personally with my Preach my Gospel.

Now I have a quick question for you because you are creative and can ask McKenna too:  We are planning an integration night with the ward and our recent converts in 2 weeks.  Next week can you send ideas of fun activities we could do that would get people involved??  Thanks!

I love you, Mom.  I don’t have time for a spiritual thought today, sorry (haha).

Love, Elder Sork


No comments:

Post a Comment