Friday, September 15, 2017

I've Made My First Two Contacts

September 15, 2017
Hey Mom,

I didn’t read the electronic version of your hand-written letter yet because I really want to have it from the mailbox, but I know you are thinking of me and love me.  Thank you so much for your support.  Last week I just complained and dumped all my problems on you and I really regret doing that. So this week I kept track of all things I could really write about. Language is still a huge struggle but I don’t want to stress that anymore, you know how I feel.  Now I want to focus on my experiences here at the CTM (Brazil Missionary Training Center).

Saturday we went out into São Paulo and proselyted, it was super crazy, especially when my companion and I are both struggling with the language. Even with this though, we were able to approach people and got 2 contacts off the street.  We were able to briefly explain the concept of eternal families and bare our testimony to both people about how we are so happy for the knowledge and opportunity to live with our families forever. 




One of my Brazilian roommates got engaged, that was pretty crazy! I love my district; they are all so loving and helpful and also are good at keeping each other in high spirits even with the long days. 

We are able to watch church movies on Sundays.  We have watched The Restoration the last two weeks Even though its repetitive I have really felt the spirit and have strengthened my testimony on the  Restoration of the gospel of Jesus Christ and Joseph Smith being a prophet in the latter-days. I also read Our Heritage this week and that has only added to the experience. It’s so inspiring to learn about the trials of the church and beginning missionaries, it definitely has given me a new perspective on my trials here. 

I SAW SISTER REID! She was here at the CTM for about an hour before she flew out to the mission field.  We were able to talk and get some pictures. I will send those once I’m out of the CTM. It was so good to see a familiar face, and I am excited for her to serve! 

We´ve been doing splits with Brazilians which is hilarious because basically the natives talk to each other the whole time and the Americans are really quiet... I´m always clueless, never understand anything, but the Brazilians are very patient and loving and that makes this experience a little more bearable.

The pens Austin said were really good I don’t think work the same on the other side of the equator... I thought that was funny after he swore by them!

Power outages happen quite often here, also my handy-dandy alarm clock with temperature gauge keeps me informed that it is now 84 degrees in our dorms.  The CTM doesn’t have AC just one fan, so I’m already getting exposed to the heat!  I am missing the cold I had my first week... but it was gonna happen eventually.

I got a haircut from the CTM barber, he spent a solid 3 minutes on it... definitely no Sportsclips. I may just have an elder from the district do it for me next time because it left much to be desired! 

I love the fruit here, fresh watermelon and pineapple are my desserts every day.



Also, good news, my foot has finally healed up!  It’s kind of scarred but as far as I can tell that center mass of warts is completely gone!!  I still have a few little ones in other areas but I may just cut them out myself if I see them starting to spread or grow - I am not going through that again.

I hope everything is going well back home, let everyone know I love them! Thank you for your support, Mom. I will continue to do my best to endure and persevere with faith as I struggle. It’s just hard knowing in a little over 2 weeks I´ll be in the field, with a companion I literally will not be able to understand.  But I will keep trying! Spiritual experiences are what have been keeping me going. I am really learning to love the Spirit and pray to have him with me every day.


Love you, MOM!

No comments:

Post a Comment